Where can I get additional health coverage for my grandchild?

To get additional coverage for your grandchild, start by talking to the benefits administrator at your own health plan to see if you can add your grandchild as a dependent to your plan. (Often the child must be considered your dependent and claimed as such on your income tax.) You can also log on to the government website and to the website of your state's department of insurance and Health and Human Services department to find out about federal and state programs for which your grandchild may qualify, or call 1-877-KIDS-NOW (1-877-543-7669). You may be able to apply for the federal programs Medicaid and/or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) on behalf of your grandchild.  A parent, grandparent, guardian or other authorized representative can apply on behalf of a child. Your state may also offer additional benefits and programs for children for which your grandchild may be eligible. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.