If the doctor you want doesn’t take your health insurance plan, you still have some options. Check your plan or call your health insurance customer service department to see if you have out-of-network coverage. In some cases, you may be able to appeal to your health insurer to cover a specialist who isn’t technically in the network. There’s always the option to pay yourself -- but remember, many plans have an annual cap on out-of-pocket expenses.
- Q Why might individual health insurance be right for me as a cancer survivor?
- Q Which high-risk conditions might need specified insurance?
- Q How does a consumer select a health insurance policy?
- Q How much does insurance influence doctors' decisions?
- Q What types of health insurance plans are there?
- Q Why might indemnity health insurance be right for me as a cancer survivor?