What if the doctor I want doesn't take my health insurance plan?

If the doctor you want doesn’t take your health insurance plan, you still have some options. Check your plan or call your health insurance customer service department to see if you have out-of-network coverage. In some cases, you may be able to appeal to your health insurer to cover a specialist who isn’t technically in the network. There’s always the option to pay yourself -- but remember, many plans have an annual cap on out-of-pocket expenses.

If the doctor doesn't accept your insurance but he or she is really your top choice, don't give up. Call the insurance company, and ask if it would consider adding this doctor to its list. If it won't, ask why. Sometimes, if even just a few patients call and ask the insurer to add a doctor, it will.

Likewise, ask your doctor if you could convince him or her to begin accepting your insurer. And every year when you renew your health insurance (a lovely period in November called "open enrollment" by most employers), call your doctor and make sure he or she intends to keep accepting this insurance plan.

When we're deciding which insurance carriers we'll work with, doctors can be swayed by just a few small factors—and if dropping a plan will create big problems for two or three regular (and well-liked) patients, that can carry weight. So speak up.

YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: US Uninsured Rate Climbs Above 12%
According to recent research by Gallup and Sharecare, the percentage of US adults without health insurance increased to 12.3 percent during the third ...
How can I find out the amount of my co-pay?
Your co-pay amount should be listed in your insurance plan documents or even on your insurance ID ca...
Does the restriction on annual limits apply to all benefits?
The restriction on annual limits is a provision in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (P...
Why Do You Call Yourselves a Health Solutions Company?