Why should I ask my plastic surgeon if he has hospital privileges?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
A properly trained, board-certified plastic surgeon will usually be able to attain surgical privileges in at least one hospital in the area. If a surgeon has no hospital privileges and operates only in his office, I would be concerned. Certainly, there are surgeons who are extremely competent and are either politically boxed out of an area or choose to operate only in their office or a surgicenter. But the vast majority of legitimate plastic surgeons have hospital privileges. If yours doesn't, ask why.

But don't just ask whether a doctor has hospital privileges. Make sure that the doctor has privileges at a hospital in exactly the procedure that you want performed. For instance, a dermatologist may have privileges to take care of medical problems of the skin in a hospital. But he may not have privileges to perform liposuction or a face-lift in a hospital. That is crucial information because the hospital provides an important level of scrutiny.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What agencies can provide benefits after a loved one's death?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
You may be eligible for certain burial or death benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs...
Why might a person with a terminal illness become more spiritual?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
The spiritual experience is one of profound love and acceptance -- seeking to live in truth and ...
How Does Digitizing the Healthcare System Help?
What Is Bisphenol A (BPA)?
What Is Bisphenol A (BPA)?