Why do I need to use a bedpan or urinal?

Kynthia James
Critical Care Nursing

A patient who is unable to get up to the bathroom for the purpose of urination or of defecation will use a bedpan or urinal. A bedpan is a device for receiving feces or urine from either male or female patients confined to bed and a urinal is a device for collecting urine from male patients. Using a bedpan or urinal is a private and personal procedure and it is important to make the environment as private as possible. It is also important that caregivers offer the bedpan or urinal frequently, because patients run the risk of accidentally soiling bedclothes, which can be an embarrassing situation.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

not seeing this doc ? you could be shortchanging your health
even though synonyms for the word “primary ” include “chief , ” “key , ” “crucial , ” and “most important , ” 30 percent of american adults and nearly...
5 things your nurse wants you to know
5 things your nurse wants you to know
i consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses ( rns ) in the united states . It an amazing profession full of passionate , ki...
who is on a surgical team ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The surgical team is made up of specialist doctors and nurses. It's their function to take care of p...
what is the future of health and medicine ?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Medical experts have various theories about how health and medicine will change in the years to come...