Why do I need to use a bedpan or urinal?

Kynthia James
Critical Care Nursing

A patient who is unable to get up to the bathroom for the purpose of urination or of defecation will use a bedpan or urinal. A bedpan is a device for receiving feces or urine from either male or female patients confined to bed and a urinal is a device for collecting urine from male patients. Using a bedpan or urinal is a private and personal procedure and it is important to make the environment as private as possible. It is also important that caregivers offer the bedpan or urinal frequently, because patients run the risk of accidentally soiling bedclothes, which can be an embarrassing situation.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

New Insights into Preventing Type 2 Diabetes and Choosing the Right Doctor
Q: I know people who have developed type 2 diabetes who aren’t particularly overweight or sedentary. Does that mean anyone can get it? What can I do t...
What is urgent care?
CareNowCareNow
Urgent care provides convenient treatment for non-life-threatening medical needs on a walk-in basis....
5 Bogus Health Tips
5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips
These common health rules may not be as accurate as you think.
What Is the Center for Connected Health?