What are the most important things to track?

Keith Roach, MD
To improve your health, track factors that have an impact on your RealAge, such as stress, sleep, smoking, diet and exercise. But if you're going to choose one thing, track your steps: More steps tend to lead to more healthy choices. I've found that when people track their steps, their weight tends to come down a little bit, and they choose healthier things to eat because they’ve just spent an hour walking around, and now they’re in a mindset that their activity is impacting their health. Conversely, I don't recommend tracking weight. It's so hard to change and people get hung up on it and frustrated when they miss their goals. With steps, you can hit your goal every day if you put your mind to it.

Continue Learning about Health Trackers

4 Ways to Get Healthy with Your Smartphone
Anyone can download a fitness or health app onto his or her smartphone--it's how you use it that matters. Here are 5 ways to get the most from your hi...
What apps can help me once my baby is born?
WLSA (Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance)WLSA (Wireless-Life Sciences Alliance)
There are a few apps that can help new moms cope with the demands of a new baby: Baby Bundle does...
Are there any health risks to using a sleep tracker?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
There aren't any real health risks associated with using a sleep tracker, but the amount of data cap...
8 Health Habits You Should Track
8 Health Habits You Should Track8 Health Habits You Should Track8 Health Habits You Should Track8 Health Habits You Should Track
Learn key ways trackers, apps and wearables can boost your health.