What are the most important things to track?

Keith Roach, MD
To improve your health, track factors that have an impact on your RealAge, such as stress, sleep, smoking, diet and exercise. But if you're going to choose one thing, track your steps: More steps tend to lead to more healthy choices. I've found that when people track their steps, their weight tends to come down a little bit, and they choose healthier things to eat because they’ve just spent an hour walking around, and now they’re in a mindset that their activity is impacting their health. Conversely, I don't recommend tracking weight. It's so hard to change and people get hung up on it and frustrated when they miss their goals. With steps, you can hit your goal every day if you put your mind to it.

Continue Learning about Health Trackers

6 Clever Ways Your Smartphone Can Make You Healthy
Anyone can download a fitness or health app onto his or her smartphone -- it's how you use it that matters. Here are six ways to get the most from you...
Welcome to The RealAge Program
Welcome to The RealAge Program
Congrats! You’ve found out your body’s RealAge and have chosen to live younger by enrolling in the RealAge program. Research shows that setting a goal...
Want to Eat Healthier? Diet Tracking Does the Trick
The food you eat has a major impact on your health. A balanced diet built around nutritious foods—including vegetables and fruit, whole grains and leg...
Why should I track my sleep?
We tend to become more conscious of improving things that we track, and sleep is an important thing ...