What are the most important things to track?

Keith Roach, MD
To improve your health, track factors that have an impact on your RealAge, such as stress, sleep, smoking, diet and exercise. But if you're going to choose one thing, track your steps: More steps tend to lead to more healthy choices. I've found that when people track their steps, their weight tends to come down a little bit, and they choose healthier things to eat because they’ve just spent an hour walking around, and now they’re in a mindset that their activity is impacting their health. Conversely, I don't recommend tracking weight. It's so hard to change and people get hung up on it and frustrated when they miss their goals. With steps, you can hit your goal every day if you put your mind to it.

Continue Learning about Health Trackers

6 Clever Ways Your Smartphone Can Make You Healthy
Anyone can download a fitness or health app onto his or her smartphone -- it's how you use it that matters. Here are six ways to get the most from you...
Which smartphone apps can help me eat healthy?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
According to a study published today in the Archives of Internal Medicine, individuals in a structur...
How can a wearable tracker improve my sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Wearable trackers can improve sleep in a few ways, by creating more awareness about your sleep habit...
5 Scary Health Numbers You Should Know
5 Scary Health Numbers You Should Know5 Scary Health Numbers You Should Know5 Scary Health Numbers You Should Know5 Scary Health Numbers You Should Know
Don’t be a statistic. Start tracking your habits today.