Can strength and conditioning be helpful for gymnasts?

Strength and conditioning is important and helpful for all sports and athletes including gymnasts. It should be functional, with movements and exercises that emphasize stabilization, deceleration, and acceleration in a multiplanar (moving in three directions - front, side, and turning) envrionment. Many strength and conditioning programs focus primarily on one plane of motion as opposed to three, which does little to improve function or prevent injury.Yet, in all sports, athletes move in all three planes of motion. Therefore it is important to train the body the way it moves in sport, and the training should be done in a systematic,integrated fashion. The training for optimum performance should include flexibility, core, balance, plyometrics, strength, and power.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How many times per week should I be doing cardio training for gymnastics?
Cardiovascular training for gymnasts be should added for varying amounts of time depending on th...
What are some signs of overtraining in gymnastics?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Overtraining is actually very common among gymnasts due to the long hours spent in the gym and the i...
How do I know if I am getting enough conditioning in my gymnastics?
Possibly. Conditioning for gymnastics is obtained by following the lead of a good coach and by pract...
What are the basic skills needed for gymnastics?
Basic skills required for the gymnast are flexibility, core strength, balance, upper and lower-b...