Can strength and conditioning be helpful for gymnasts?

Strength and conditioning is important and helpful for all sports and athletes including gymnasts. It should be functional, with movements and exercises that emphasize stabilization, deceleration, and acceleration in a multiplanar (moving in three directions - front, side, and turning) envrionment. Many strength and conditioning programs focus primarily on one plane of motion as opposed to three, which does little to improve function or prevent injury.Yet, in all sports, athletes move in all three planes of motion. Therefore it is important to train the body the way it moves in sport, and the training should be done in a systematic,integrated fashion. The training for optimum performance should include flexibility, core, balance, plyometrics, strength, and power.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How does staying tight reduce gymnastic injuries?
A gymnast is often told to stay tight, or keep the body tense, while executing movements. It is ...
How do I increase my endurance for the vault in gymnastics?
Vaulting involves straight ahead speed, or sprinting, before hitting the spring board. Without p...
How can I increase core strength for gymnastics?
Gymnastics and core strength seem almost synonymous. The powerful core muscles are needed for every ...
Why do some gymnasts wear straps on their hands?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
These straps, called grips or hand guards, are often worn by gymnasts who perform a lot of swing...