Can resistance training increase my endurance during gymnastics?

Resistance training in the form of circuit training can increase endurance for participation in gymnastics. Circuit training is a series of resistance training exercises completed one after the other with minimal rest. It is very time efficient and allows for comparable results to other cardiorespiratory exercises. The typical circuit training routine includes 1-3 sets of 8-15 repetitions with up to one minute rest between exercises. All variables can be adjusted to enhance the desired effect. A variation on circuit training that is often used is called the peripheral heart action system. This system alternates upper and lower-body exercises throughout the circuit. 8-20 repetitions per exercise can be performed depending on individual goals. Both systems have the benefit of alternating body composition and increasing endurance.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Should my flexibility be tested before starting gymnastics?
A flexibility assessment is a great start to see what general muscle imbalances or joint restric...
What strength drills can I do for gymnastics?
Drills that can enhance strength for gymnasts include push-ups, pull-ups, seated rope climbing, ...
What can help me avoid injury during a gymnastics dismount?
The dismount off of an apparatus is more dangerous than other landings due to the higher force o...
Can posture enhance my gymnastics performance?
Posture is the static and dynamic alignment of all structures of the body at any given moment, a...