What flexibilitly warm-ups can I do for gymnastics?

To start, you can foam roll the tight regions of the body to help loosen up the muscles. Some key areas to foam roll include the calves and the front of the thighs, or hip flexors. Perform the foam rolling techniques slowly, holding each tender point for 30 seconds. After you have foam rolled, you can then stretch those tight muscles. Key areas to stretch are also your calves and the front of your hips. To stretch the calves, support yourself against a wall and point one foot behind you. Keep the back foot straight and the back thigh and gluteal muscle tight while pressing the back heel into the floor. Slowly lean forward toward the wall until tension is felt in the back calf. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on the other leg. To stretch the front of the hips, assume a staggered stance bringing one foot behind you. Turn the back foot inward slightly and tuck your pelvis underneath you while keeping your back gluteal tight. Lean forward slightly on to the front foot while keeping the pelvis tucked, the back gluteal tight, and the back leg straight. Hold this stretch for 30 seconds and repeat on the opposite leg. Finally, perform a dynamic movement that involves both the ankle and hips to help control this new range of motion your created through your foam rolling and stretching. An example exercise is prisoner squats. To begin this exercise, place your hands behind your head. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart and the toes straight ahead. Squat down to roughly the height of a chair and stand back up. Repeat for 10-15 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

What are some power exercises for legs that a gymnast can do?
An increase in either force or velocity can produce an increase of power. For maximal results, h...
Is there a way to know if my core is working correctly for gymnastics?
An assessment of the core can be done by a qualified health care practitioner or physical therap...
How do beginners practice skills for gymnastics?
Beginners should always practice gymnastic skills with supervision. Most skills are practiced in the...
What conditioning can I do at home for gymnastics?
Exercises that include core work are extremely important and are crucial for success as a gymnas...