How can sleep improve my golf game?

Equipment, weather conditions, athleticism, and technique aside, if you can get your game on at night, you can get your game on over the greens. Seriously.

A study out of Morristown Memorial Hospital in New Jersey found a group of golfers that improved their golf game by up to three strokes. Granted, these golfers suffered from sleep apnea and were users of the C-PAP, a continuous positive airway pressure mask that helps them sleep better. But my guess is that if a study were done on the general golfing population, we’d see similar findings: those who sleep better, golf better.

Why? Easy. Consider the following benefits of a good night’s sleep:

• better concentration and ability to focus
• better hand-eye coordination
• alertness
• sharper memory (to recall the level of difficulty or technical secrets to a certain hole, the course terrain, etc.)

All of this bodes well for the golfer—or any sports player for that matter.

Continue Learning about Golf

What exercises should golfers do to maintain a strong and stable back?
Often times, athletes confuse core training with only training the front side of their bodies. I...
Why should I do both strength and flexibility training for golf?
An integrated resistance and flexibility training program can improve swing mechanics, trunk and...
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing