How can plyometrics be added to a golf training program?

Plyometrics are an important part of an integrated sports training program to help develop lower body power. Plyometric exercises should be used only after a proper warm-up consisting of stretching and light cardio. When starting out, perform low intensity plyometric exercises (small jumps) and focus on proper landing mechanics and ideal posture. A squat jump with stabilization is a good exercise to start with. When performing this exercise hold the landing for 3-5 seconds and check your posture each time. Your feet and knees should be pointing straight ahead. Next, perform plyometric exercises with a slightly faster tempo rather than holding the landing. Squat jumps or tuck jumps are ideal plyometric exercises for the intermediate-level exerciser. Once you have mastered plyometric exercises with a moderate tempo, your last step is to perform plyometric exercises such as an ice skater as fast as can be controlled. These exercises are typically performed prior to resistance training to maximize safety and effectiveness.

Continue Learning about Golf

How does strength help a golfer to hit the ball farther?
When a muscle is exposed to the stress of an external load it adapts over time and is better able to...
Why is cardiorespiratory training important in golf?
Cardiorespiratory conditioning is very important in golf. The average golfer walks between four ...
How do I increase the distance of my golf drive?
The distance a ball travels after being hit is the result of the force of the club head and the ...
How can I test shoulder flexibility for golf?
The wall shoulder flexion test helps to assess if you have proper range of motion when raising y...