How often do I need to take medication for genital herpes?

Treatment for genital herpes involving medication can be taken in different ways. Episodic therapy is taken at the first appearance of symptoms. This therapy involves taking daily dosages of a drug until symptoms subside, usually for a course of one to five days. These antiviral drugs are safe, have few side effects, shorten the length of first episodes and reduce the severity of recurring outbreaks, especially if taken within 24 hours of the onset of prodromal symptoms. Episodic therapy will not prevent transmission between episodes, however.

If you have frequent recurrences of genital herpes, suppressive therapy can keep the virus in check indefinitely. This treatment involves daily medication, even when you have no symptoms. It can reduce the number of recurrences significantly. Suppressive therapy also reduces the chances that an infected person will transmit the virus to a sexual partner primarily because it reduces asymptomatic shedding of the virus.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

How can I transmit genital herpes if I have no symptoms?
For reasons not entirely clear, many people with genital herpes either have no visible symptoms or d...
Why does genital herpes recur?
Almost immediately after the herpes simplex virus (HSV) infects your body and before symptoms appear...
What is genital herpes?
Genital herpes is a virus infection that causes painful blisters or open sores on the genital area. ...
How often does genital herpes recur?
Most people who have had an initial primary outbreak of genital herpes will experience periodic outb...