How often do I need to take medication for genital herpes?

Treatment for genital herpes involving medication can be taken in different ways. Episodic therapy is taken at the first appearance of symptoms. This therapy involves taking daily dosages of a drug until symptoms subside, usually for a course of one to five days. These antiviral drugs are safe, have few side effects, shorten the length of first episodes and reduce the severity of recurring outbreaks, especially if taken within 24 hours of the onset of prodromal symptoms. Episodic therapy will not prevent transmission between episodes, however.

If you have frequent recurrences of genital herpes, suppressive therapy can keep the virus in check indefinitely. This treatment involves daily medication, even when you have no symptoms. It can reduce the number of recurrences significantly. Suppressive therapy also reduces the chances that an infected person will transmit the virus to a sexual partner primarily because it reduces asymptomatic shedding of the virus.

Continue Learning about Genital Herpes

What questions should I ask my doctor about genital herpes?
Review the following questions about herpes so you're prepared to discuss this important health issu...
How can I transmit genital herpes to the fetus if I am pregnant?
The risk of transmitting genital herpes to a fetus varies greatly, depending on when a woman is infe...
How is genital herpes transmitted?
Genital herpes is acquired by sexual contact with someone who is infected. It was once believed that...
Is genital herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes genital herpes, is very contagious. To prevent catching th...