How does skin control body temperature?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Your skin regulates your body temperature through blood vessels and through the process of sweating. The skin is in effect your body’s thermostat. When you’re out in cold weather, your skin triggers shivering so the blood vessels will contract and keep you as warm as possible. But if there’s a heat wave, you’ll sweat to increase the blood flow to the capillaries, which in turn increases sweating. This process cools you off as the water evaporates from your skin. 

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What causes excessive sweating?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Excessive sweating reflects instability of the part of the brain called the autonomic nervous syste...
Is my skin normal for my age?
Your face is your most precious asset - and the condition of your skin largely determines whether yo...
What is the role of squalane in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Squalane is a naturally occurring oil found in human skin. This fine emollient does a superb job...
Could I have very salty sweat?
Yes. Equipment in physiology labs can assess the mineral content of an athlete’s sweat, but ther...