What is the proper way to tackle?

Proper tackling techniques include making sure that the person tackling sees what he is tackling. Also, he should never tackle with his head down and should avoid helmet-to-helmet contact.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

How do I get in condition for football?
Getting in condition for football is best achieved by using a progression of exercise from post-seas...
What energy systems am I using when playing football?
The energy system demands of a football game as whole are aerobic for the most part. This is due...
What do athletic trainers say about tackling techniques in football?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The National Athletic Trainers’ Association position on tackling techniques is that coaches shou...
What is the purpose of different face masks on football helmets?
Each position has a different type of face mask to balance protection and visibility. Overall, m...