What's a great drill to improve open field speed?

To practice your ability and technique when accelerating in an open field, perform 2-4 sets of 20-40 yards of the alternate leg bounding exercise. Simply drive off one leg, using the opposite hip and knee to project you up and forward, landing on the opposite leg and repeat. This exercise helps you focus on pushing into the ground explosively so that you can increase your stride length.

Continue Learning about Football

Which type of football shoulder pads should I choose?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are two styles of football shoulder pads: cantilevered and noncantilevered. Cantilevered p...
How should I choose football cleats?
The answer depends on the position you play, the type of surface played on, the amount of ankle ...
How do I prevent receivers from slowing down prior to the catch?
Many times speed development neglects to train the subtle nuances that occur on the field, like ...
Why do linemen wear knee braces in football?
Knee braces can be worn to protect against damage to the ligaments of the knee, or they can be w...