Are there lifts that I should avoid while in-season?

In order to maintain your gains, improve your recovery, and avoid unnecessary risks in the weight room, you should avoid the following lifts and exercises while in-season: A.) Any new lift that you have never done before. In-season is not the time to try something extreme or possibly risky. Unless the exercise is rehabilitation based, save it for next off-season; B.) Overhead pressing movements can agitate the shoulders, especially if you have a pre-condition that is giving you some problems. Incline bench presses are fine and you can probably perform push presses and jerks as long as you have previous experience and are using light to moderate you weight. You should listen to your body if any other exercises are inducing pain - there is plenty you can do to train those same muscles pain free; and C.) Excessively overloading plyometrics can really beat you up and actually decrease your explosiveness while in-season. Your body is doing so many ballistic movements while playing, to add more in would be overload. Depth drop to squat jumps, broad jumps, and any 1-legged box jumps or the like are too much for in-season training. Better choices are low impact plyometrics like jumping rope, small hurdle hops, and all speed ladder drills.

Continue Learning about Football

What are good cues to teach the common athletic position?
Follow this checklist from toe to head to learn the key points to a great athletic stance that will ...
How can I add to the protection from football shoulder pads?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Along with wearing shoulder pads, you can add items for a little extra protection and cushion. T...
How would sports performance training help me as a football player?
A well designed sports performance training program will optimize the speed, agility and strength at...
How do I know if a football helmet needs more air?
If the helmet is too loose on your head and there is room for twisting, you may need a smaller s...