Are there lifts that I should avoid while in-season?

In order to maintain your gains, improve your recovery, and avoid unnecessary risks in the weight room, you should avoid the following lifts and exercises while in-season: A.) Any new lift that you have never done before. In-season is not the time to try something extreme or possibly risky. Unless the exercise is rehabilitation based, save it for next off-season; B.) Overhead pressing movements can agitate the shoulders, especially if you have a pre-condition that is giving you some problems. Incline bench presses are fine and you can probably perform push presses and jerks as long as you have previous experience and are using light to moderate you weight. You should listen to your body if any other exercises are inducing pain - there is plenty you can do to train those same muscles pain free; and C.) Excessively overloading plyometrics can really beat you up and actually decrease your explosiveness while in-season. Your body is doing so many ballistic movements while playing, to add more in would be overload. Depth drop to squat jumps, broad jumps, and any 1-legged box jumps or the like are too much for in-season training. Better choices are low impact plyometrics like jumping rope, small hurdle hops, and all speed ladder drills.

Continue Learning about Football

Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?
Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may...
How can I prevent my football equipment from slowing me down?
The best piece of advice to minimize some of the affects of your equipment is to increase your t...
How do I get in condition for football?
Getting in condition for football is best achieved by using a progression of exercise from post-seas...
What type of shoes should football kickers wear?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Football kickers choose their shoes based on a variety of factors, including turf or grass surfa...