Should I limit my conditioning when I'm lifting heavy weights?

Lifting heavy weights to maximize strength potential may require tapering off of conditioning drills depending on the volume of work you are performing. Maximal strength training is an intense workout and requires a tremendous amount of energy. Moreover, because your muscles, tendons and ligaments are working at high intensity levels, they will require adequate amount of rest to fully recover. It is during this recovery period that strength and muscle mass gains are actually achieved. Maximal strength training tears the body down and the body's natural recovery process repairs the body to be bigger and stronger than before, in order to adapt to the demands you're placing on your body. Aerobic conditioning (jogging), and or speed, agility, and quickness drills should not be performed on the same days as you perform heavy strength training. In addition, these drills should be limited to 1-2 days per week, to allow your body adequate time to recover and limit overtraining and possible burnout.

Continue Learning about Football

What is the purpose of different face masks on football helmets?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Each position has a different type of face mask to balance protection and visibility. Overall, m...
I get a ton of stingers when I hit, any way to stop it from happening?
There may not be an exercise to avoid a stinger, however, having a strong neck may help reduce t...
How can I choose a safe football helmet?
All football helmets on the market are approved by NOCSAE (National Operating Committee on Stand...
What kind of face masks are used for different football positions?
Different positions in football have different kinds of football helmet face masks in order to p...