Should I limit my conditioning when I'm lifting heavy weights?

For a fast answer YES, but like anything in life there is never a fast answer. So it all depends on what you are training for. Considering, if you are lifting heavy weight to began with I will guess you are not running marathons or doing any kind of crazy distance on a bike. Yet there are some sports that do require some heavy lifting, which in that case you should cut down on the conditioning. If you are lifting heavy 3-4 times a week then your conditioning should be cut from 1-3 days a week. Remember you want to be able to recover from the lifting days and be able to perform to your best ability when you are lifting or conditioning.  Remember rest is your friend, take it when you can.

Lifting heavy weights to maximize strength potential may require tapering off of conditioning drills depending on the volume of work you are performing. Maximal strength training is an intense workout and requires a tremendous amount of energy. Moreover, because your muscles, tendons and ligaments are working at high intensity levels, they will require adequate amount of rest to fully recover. It is during this recovery period that strength and muscle mass gains are actually achieved. Maximal strength training tears the body down and the body's natural recovery process repairs the body to be bigger and stronger than before, in order to adapt to the demands you're placing on your body. Aerobic conditioning (jogging), and or speed, agility, and quickness drills should not be performed on the same days as you perform heavy strength training. In addition, these drills should be limited to 1-2 days per week, to allow your body adequate time to recover and limit overtraining and possible burnout.

Continue Learning about Football

Why is there a warning sticker on all football helmets?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) has developed stan...
What are good cues to teach the common athletic position?
Follow this checklist from toe to head to learn the key points to a great athletic stance that will ...
Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?
Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may...
How often do football helmets need to be reconditioned?
The National Operating Committee on Standards of Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) does not have a set...