Should I drastically change my training to prepare for a combine?

Some of the drills/tests at the combine include the 40 yard dash, bench press (225 lbs), vertical jump, broad jump, 3 cone drill, and shuttle run. Your program should taper from general conditioning to improving strength and power that will improve your abilities in these specific drills/tests. Moreover, lifting and training volume must alter as you get closer to a combine performance. Any lifting that is focusing on building muscle mass should be placed on the back burner and instead focus on power and explosiveness as a  high priority. In addition, practicing the specific drills, improving sprinting and jumping technique will be imperative. Many athletes will need to learn the subtleties of each test at the combine for maximal performance.

Continue Learning about Football

Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?
Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may...
What's better for football - the traditional squat or lunges?
Toby Garza , NASM Elite TrainerToby Garza , NASM Elite Trainer
In a perfect world the squat would be better. Lunges are great for many things, considering you are ...
What's the test to truly assess speed on the football field?
The 40 yard dash has usually been the standard in this field and is the test that has accumulate...
How are football helmets tested for safety?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Football helmets are tested by mounting a football helmet on a synthetic head model and dropping...