What is the goal of preseason cardio training for football?

The goal of pre-season cardiovascular training for football is to build a good aerobic base. For some football players, it might also mean weight management.  To start the process for both building a base and weight loss, you need to build up your work capacity. This is done by doing low-intensity work on cardio equipment to reduce the pounding on the joints. Pre-season training is meant to prepare you for the season, so there is a fine line between preparing for the season and setting yourself up for burnout in the middle of the season. Building the work capacity slowly is a safe way to ensure you are peaking at the right time during the season.  Once  you can handle at least 30 minutes of low-intensity training, then you can increase your aerobic base by pushing your anaerobic threshold higher. Football is made up of a series of anaerobic plays, so strengthening the anaerobic system is every important. By the end of the pre-season, you should be doing quite a bit of anaerobic training in the same work to rest ration that your position in football demands.

Continue Learning about Football

Why do some football players tape over their shoes?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Injury prevention is a key reason why athletes tape their feet and ankles, particularly in sport...
What do athletic trainers say about tackling techniques in football?
The National Athletic Trainers’ Association position on tackling techniques is that coaches shou...
How can I prevent my football equipment from slowing me down?
The best piece of advice to minimize some of the affects of your equipment is to increase your t...
How can I improve my receiving?
The first step is to receive a check up on our vision to see if we need any prescription assista...