Can I still do speed training in the pre-season?

Yes. In a way, playing/practicing football is some of the best speed training you can do. The best time to polish up on some of your linear or multi-directional speed mechanics would be in a the warm-up. Many warm-up drills are incorporated for the speed enhancement benefits. If you are planning to truly train high output sprinting or change of direction mechanics, then you should limit the volume and afford adequate rest between efforts. This may be tough to do in August, time is very precious, but a handful of repetitions, a couple times a week to improve your max speed and agility can be beneficial. 

Continue Learning about Football

How are football helmets tested for safety?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Football helmets are tested by mounting a football helmet on a synthetic head model and dropping...
How can I add to the protection from football shoulder pads?
Along with wearing shoulder pads, you can add items for a little extra protection and cushion. T...
What energy systems am I using when playing football?
The energy system demands of a football game as whole are aerobic for the most part. This is due...
How can I improve my receiving?
The first step is to receive a check up on our vision to see if we need any prescription assista...