What is nail care?

Nail care, the maintenance of the fingernails and toenails, is important for health as well as cosmetic reasons. Good nail care can prevent fungus infections of the nail, painful ingrown fingernails and toenails, and infections of the skin in the hands and feet. Nail care is especially important for those with diabetes, as infections of the feet in particular are dangerous. To care for your nails, keep them short and trimmed (in the shape of the fingertip for fingernails; straight across for toenails); keep your hands and feet and their nails clean (change your socks daily); and wear pool shoes, flip-flops, or other protective wear when in places like public pools or gym showers where you could get a fungal infection. Don't bite nails or pick at them or the cuticles. Also avoid tight shoes and artificial nails. Diabetic patients are often recommended to go to a podiatrist to care for and check their feet and toenails. 

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

Can compression stockings help alleviate tired legs and feet?
Sometimes, after a hard day, your legs may feel like they have about as much zip as a napping cat. T...
What lifestyle factors can affect foot health?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Many of the same things you do to maintain your overall health can also help your feet stay heal...
How can I buy shoes that are comfortable and fit properly?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Here are some tips for buying shoes that are comfortable and fit properly: Make sure there’s a qua...
How can I protect my feet if I wear high heels?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Hooked on high heels? To protect your feet, try wearing high heels in moderation and saving them for...