What is the difference between oil-packed and water-packed canned fish?

Tuna, salmon, sardines, crabs, clams, mackerel and other fish are canned in water or oil, typically vegetable or olive oil. Even when the oil is drained, fish in oil has significantly more (mostly unsaturated) fat than water-packed varieties. A 3-ounce portion of water-packed drained tuna has 1 gram of fat, while the oil-packed variety has 7 grams.

With oil-packed canned fish, some omega-3 fatty acids are transferred to the oil, which may wind up being discarded.

Besides the fat and calorie difference, fish packed in spring water have a milder flavor, but a drier texture. Also look for fish in shelf-stable pouches.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

"Flame Retardants" in Your Gatorade: Hazard, or Hype?
We have a long history of doing questionable things to vegetable oils—and putting them in odd places in the food supply. The best-known and deservedl...
Breaking Down Processed Foods
Breaking Down Processed Foods
Years and years ago, food came straight from the ground or from the branch and went directly to the table. That sort of freshness is a little harder t...
The Organic Product with More Nutrition
The Organic Product with More Nutrition
Should you buy organic? A study suggests it might make sense with this dairy product: milk. In the study, researchers compared the milk from organic ...
How do I know what qualifies as processed food?
How do I know what qualifies as processed food? Learn more from our experts about processed foods.