What are alternatives to peanut butter if I have a peanut allergy?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Since peanuts are legumes and most others are tree nuts, you have many different alternatives. Walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts can all be made into nut butters. Even soybeans can be made into butter. Just make sure that your other nut butter is not processed in the same factory as peanuts. 

Lona Sandon

If you are allergic to peanuts, you may still be able to enjoy nut butters from other nuts. Tree nuts such as almonds, walnuts or cashews come from a different type of plant. In fact, peanuts are really a legume. You may try nut butters from almonds, cashews, or walnuts. Be sure to check the label, first to be sure they were not made in the same place a peanuts. Or you can make your own by simply putting about 2 cups of raw or roasted nuts in a food processor or blender. Blend until finely chopped and creamy. You may need to add a small amount of oil for desired thickness. 

If you have a peanut allergy, there are other nut butters that you can try. Just about any type of nut can be made into a nut butter. It's as simple as grinding nuts in a food processor until they form a paste. Some nut butters will be creamy, others somewhat grainy. Higher-fat nuts, such as macadamia, will make a smoother but thinner butter. Almond and cashew butters work well for sandwiches or spread on apple slices.

Homemade nut butters have a short self-life, so make them in small batches. One cup of nuts will make about 1/2 cup nut butter. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a month.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Common Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
What Are Some Food Substitutions for Corn in my Diet?
How Is a Dairy Allergy Different From Lactose Intolerance?
How Can I Get My Digestion Back on Track?