Can I eat dark chocolate if I have fructose intolerance?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Researchers have found benefits to eating dark chocolate such as heart and blood pressure health. Processed chocolate, however, is made by combining the original substance with sugar and other ingredients such as cocoa and butter. Dark chocolate is no exception; the difference is that dark chocolate has a higher concentration of cocoa than other kinds of chocolate. If you have fructose intolerance, you should avoid all types of chocolate.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Could You Have a Food Sensitivity and Not Know It?
If your skin breaks into a fiery, itchy rash, your tongue swells and breathing becomes difficult shortly after eating a shrimp cocktail, there’s a goo...
Should common food allergens be banned from schools?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
I agree with the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) that foods that cause common allergic...
How does soy allergy affect the body?
A soy allergy is the result of an immune system problem. The body of a person affected with a soy al...
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?