Why should I do static stretching with muscle activation?

Static stretching must be done in combination with muscle activation to help balance the muscles surrounding your joints. Muscles that become tight or short around a joint alter the muscles on the opposite side; these are called the antagonist muscles. These muscles can become long or weak and must be activated to keep the muscular balance. Stretch one side and strengthen the other. This will help keep your body balanced.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Is a once-a-week yoga class enough stretching?
Many muscles are stretched during a yoga class. However, performing a total-body stretching routine ...
What is the purpose of the biceps stretch exercise?
The biceps stretch exercise stretches the long and short heads of the biceps brachii. One way to...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?