Why should I do static stretching with muscle activation?

Static stretching must be done in combination with muscle activation to help balance the muscles surrounding your joints. Muscles that become tight or short around a joint alter the muscles on the opposite side; these are called the antagonist muscles. These muscles can become long or weak and must be activated to keep the muscular balance. Stretch one side and strengthen the other. This will help keep your body balanced.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How do I do the shoulder internal-rotators stretch?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The shoulder internal-rotator stretch exercise helps stretch the teres major, an internal rotator of...
Are there types of massage I can do myself to help improve my flexibility?
Yes, self-massage (using a foam roll) can be done on your own. A foam roll is a tool to used to appl...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?