What is dynamic flexibility?

Dynamic stretching utilizes functional movements involving the body's momentum to take a joint through its full range of motion. Dynamic stretching is best used prior to activity to best prepare the body for optimum performance. 

Often many people prepare for activity by performing only static stretching (i.e. golf, basketball, strength training) which actually works against the best practices to prepare your muscles for optimum activation. It is not a bad idea to perform static stretches prior to activity but be sure to leave time to perform some dynamic stretches as well to properly warm up, prevent injuries and give yourself the best chance to win.

A great lower body dynamic stretching routine prior to activity is:
  1. Body Weight Squats to Calf Raise 1 set x 10 reps
  2. Front Lunge 1 set x 5 reps (each leg)
  3. Hip Swings - Side to Side 1 set x 10 reps (each leg) 
Dynamic stretching involves using a muscle's own force production along with the body's momentum to take a joint through its full range of motion. Dynamic stretching can be used as a warm up, and prior to activities which will require using maximal effort. Some examples of dynamic stretches include prisoner squats, push-up with rotation, and medicine ball lift and chop.
Dynamic stretching utilizes both force and momentum to move through the full range of motion of a joint. Dynamic stretching can also be used as a warm-up before activity. Examples include: squats, lunges, and medicine ball rotations.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?