What is corrective flexibility?

Corrective flexibility focuses on correcting muscular imbalances and altered movement patterns. It includes foam rolling (self-myofascial release) and static stretching.
Corrective flexibility focuses on correcting postural and joint dysfunctions, along with correcting muscle imbalances. Corrective flexibility involves using self-myofascial release (also known as foam rolling), static stretching, and neuromuscular stretching techniques.
Corrective flexibility is bringing muscles back into proper length. With muscular imbalances, one set of muscles become tight while the opposing muscle group become overly stretched causing weakness in both. Over time, the tight muscle begins pulling on the joints it’s connected to and can pull it out of alignment. So this type of flexibility corrects muscle imbalances, increases your range of motion, decreases excessive tension on the muscles, relieves joint stress. At the same time improving neuromuscular efficiency and function and maintaining a normal functional length of the muscles. Wow, what a tension release!

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What are some different types of flexibility training?
Different types of flexibility training include correcive flexibility, active flexibility, and funct...
Why should I do the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The iliotibial band (ITB) stretch exercise helps stretch the ITB and possibly the tensor fascia lata...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?