What is active flexibility?

Active flexibility focuses on improving soft tissue extensibility and increasing neuromuscular control. Active flexibility uses both self-myofascial release (foam rolling) and active-isolated stretching techniques.
Active flexibility focuses on increasing the extensibility and the neuromuscular efficiency of a muscle. It includes foam rolling (self-myofascial release) as well as active-isolated stretching.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

How should I stretch the muscles on the bottom of my feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
To stretch the muscles on the bottom of your feet: Stand with feet together. Step back with your l...
Why should I do the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The iliotibial band (ITB) stretch exercise helps stretch the ITB and possibly the tensor fascia lata...
What are the benefits of stretching?
Stretching will help you become more flexible, keep your body in proper posture, decrease pain i...
How does stretching help the back heal?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Regular stretching lengthens the muscle tissue, improves blood flow throughout the body, and speeds ...