What exercises help with recovery after heavy training or competition?

Performing foam rolling techniques and static stretching will help relax the muscles you trained during your workout. Foam rolling can be used as a form of self massage and relax the muscles trained. After foam rolling, you can then stretch those muscles to continually relax the muscles and reset those muscles to their normal resting lengths. This can help decrease the risk of muscle imbalances and potential injury.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

Are there any other forms of flexibility training besides just stretching?
Yes, self-massage is another form of flexibility that feels much different than stretching. Self-mas...
What is the chest stretch exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The chest stretch exercise stretches the pectoralis major (one of the chest muscles), which originat...
How should I do the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Here's how to do the iliotibial band (ITB) exercise, which helps stretch the ITB and possibly the te...
I sit at a desk all day and feel tight after a few hours, what can I do?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Sitting for extended periods, or any other activity that requires repetitive movements, leads to mus...