What are the benefits of stretching and flexibility exercises?

Flexibility training is a key component for all training programs and has several positive effects such as:

• Correcting muscle imbalances
  • Increasing joint range of motion
  • Decreasing the excessive tension of muscles
  • Relieving joint stress
  • Maintaining the normal muscle length
  • Improving neuromuscular efficiency
  • Improving function

People who train in a repetitive fashion (or have jobs that require moving their bodies in repetitive ways) are at risk for pattern overload, which places stress on the body and can result in injury. Poor posture and repetitive movements may create dysfunctions in connective tissue, initiating the cumulative injury cycle. Stretching before exercise can reduce these risks of injury. 

Flexibility exercises, also called stretching, help keep your joints flexible and reduce your chance of injury during other activities. Gentle stretching for 5 to 10 minutes helps your body warm up and get ready for aerobic activities such as walking or swimming.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What types of flexibility are appropriate before recreational sports?
There are a few different flexibility techniques to help prepare the body for sport. Think of your p...
I sit at a desk all day and feel tight after a few hours, what can I do?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Sitting at a desk all day certainly can tighten up your muscles. Here are a few stretches to loosen ...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?