What are the benefits of flexibility training?

Eric Olsen
Fitness

Flexibility training provides a variety of benefits:

• It delays or prevents the tendency to stiffen with age. 
  • It helps improve posture.
  • The relaxing effect of stretching helps control the harmful effects of stress.
  • It prevents injuries that can interfere with one's program of aerobic or strength training, as a tight, inflexible muscle is more prone to strains or tears.
  • Stretching is also essential for anyone striving for peak performance, because a flexible muscle can move more easily through its full range of motion.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Flexibility training is phenomenal to complete and should be completed daily. Every individual should practice 5-mintues of active flexibility a day. This form of flexibility may come in the form of static stretching, holding a stretching in place for a period of time, active stretching, moving within the stretch, and/or dynamic stretching, active movement to prepare your body for the exercise in which you are about to start.

Benefits of flexibility include:

• The ability to be more mobile and agile
  • Decreased soreness
  • Decreased risk of injury
  • Improved circulation
  • Healthier more balanced body

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What can I do for arch pain?
If you have arch pain, you should perform a combination of flexibility and strengthening techniques ...
How should I do the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Here's how to do the iliotibial band (ITB) exercise, which helps stretch the ITB and possibly the te...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?