How do I perform stretching exercises?

When it comes to flexibility exercises, a good warm-up is essential, because warm muscles stretch more readily than cold ones. Each stretch should be done twice, with slow and gentle movements. Extend into each stretch, feeling the pull on your muscles, for thirty seconds. Do not bounce, as this can strain or tear muscles. (Do not do any stretches to the point of pain, and do not do any stretch by yourself until you have received instruction and are judged capable by your instructor of doing them by yourself with correct form. Doing any stretch with incorrect form can cause injury.)
Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology

A stretching routine should be very specific and include all the major muscle groups, including the shoulders, hips, pelvis, buttocks, thighs, and calves.

Carefully move to the maximum range of motion of the joint that is easily performed, without pain or unusual discomfort. Then slightly increase the motion until there is resistance or discomfort. Do this only one time.

Ask a doctor, physical therapist, or personal trainer for a complete list of stretching and range-of-motion exercises.

Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...
Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Hold each stretch position for at least 20 full seconds and then return slowly to the starting position. Repeat this 3 times per stretching exercise for each side of the body. Remember to continue breathing in a smooth, controlled manner throughout the stretch. Don't hold your breath. If you are new to stretching, it is also advisable to do these stretches in front of a mirror. Once you have internalized the correct body placement for each of the stretches, you will be able to do them comfortably.

Always discuss which exercises may be best for you with a qualified professional. If you are unsure about how to do any of the exercises, don't do them. If you feel pain, stop and discuss your options with your physician, physical therapist, or trainer.

Stretching exercises can be performed in a number of ways. Prior to stretching, you must decide what area of your body you want to stretch and then decide the type of stretching you want complete. Below is a list of the type of stretching:

• Static – holding a position in place for a time frame of 20 or more seconds
  • Active – Similar to static but this form will have you moving with a stretch
  • Dynamic – Active movements to prepare you for the exercises you are about to embark upon

If you would like further description, please reply with the areas in which you are trying to stretch.

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Some stretch exercises use a flexibility strap to aid in the stretch, while others use only your body. Stretches should feel like a gentle pull, not sharp pain. Hold all stretches for 30 seconds. Toward the end of the 30 seconds, you will feel your muscles relax more and give you more of a stretch. No bouncing or ballistic stretching.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What are flexibility exercises for feet?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Exercises that improve flexibility help keep your feet limber and may reduce your risk for injur...
What muscle do most people need to stretch?
The muscle most people need to stretch is the calf muscle. Due to wearing shoes with elevated he...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?