How does stretching help the back heal?

If your back is injured then stretching may help. As long as you have been cleared by your physician to start light stretching then please do! If you have an injury in your back then more than likely a muscle is overly tight and needs to be stretched. Much of the time, our injuries are the result of an overly active muscle that is so wound up that we need something or someone to stretch it. A great way to stretch your entire body is through self-myofascial release which will be completed through foam rolling. In addition, forms of exercise such as yoga will increase flexibility which will help prevent injury and tightness of muscles.

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Regular stretching lengthens the muscle tissue, improves blood flow throughout the body, and speeds the essential delivery of oxygen and other key nutrients to your back. Usually when you have an injured or aching back, you will also have some progressive stiffness involved. A regular stretching program allows you to gently push the range of motion to help mobilize the spine and soft tissues for continuous pain relief. Your stretching exercises should focus on achieving flexibility in the disc, muscles, ligaments, and tendons, as well as muscles not directly involved with the back area such as the legs and arms.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How do I stretch my latissimus dorsi muscle?
The ball lat stretch is a very effective exercise for stretching the latissimus dorsi. Get on all fo...
What are some warm-up and cool-down exercises?
NASM recommends to incorporate self myofascial release and stretching as part of a warm-up. Many peo...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?