How should I do hamstring stretches?

Sit on the floor with your legs together and extended in front of your torso. If your torso is leaning back, it may be because tight hamstrings are dragging the sitting bones toward the knees and the back of the pelvis toward the floor. It may be helpful to sit on a blanket or a bolster to lift the pelvis.

A simple way to check alignment is to sit with your back against a wall. The sacrum and the shoulder blades should touch the wall, but not lower back or the back of the head. Put a small rolled-up towel between the wall and the lower back.

Sit towards the front of the sitting bones, and adjust the pubis and tail bone equidistant from the floor. Without hardening the belly, firm the thighs, press them down against the floor (or your support), rotate them slightly toward each other, and draw the inner groins toward the sacrum. Flex your ankles, pressing out through your heels.

To lengthen your front torso perpendicular to the floor, think of energy streaming upward from the pubis to the sternum, then down the back from the shoulders to the tail bone. Then imagine the tail lengthening into the floor.

Imagine your spine as the "rod" at the vertical core of your torso, rooted firmly in the ground. Hold this pose for one minute or longer.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

How should I do a calf muscle stretch?
To do a calf muscle stretch, follow these steps: Face a wall with one leg in front of the other ...
What is static stretching?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Static stretching is the most common method used for improving flexibility. Static stretching uses a...
How do I do the shoulder internal-rotators stretch?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The shoulder internal-rotator stretch exercise helps stretch the teres major, an internal rotator of...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?