How do I relieve sore muscles after a workout?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
A great remedy for tight muscles is taking an Epsom salt bath. Epsom salt is a natural detox that can alleviate sore and tight muscles. You will often find us recommending this in class to our clients who are feeling the effects of lots of exercise and tight muscles!

Muscle soreness is inevitable. During exercise muscles are broken down and the days after exercise the muscles are being rebuilt. The rebuilding process is what causes muscle soreness. Fluid and cells rush to the muscle after exercise to repair the muscle for later use. The excess of fluid and cells in the area is what causes the soreness. 

The application of ice immediately following exercise will constrict blood flow to the muscle thus reducing the amount of fluid and cells being sent to repair the tissue. However, ice should be only be used if you are experiencing significant muscle soreness. Muscle soreness is natural and is a sign that the body is repairing itself.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Can stretching actually benefit my performance?
Yes, a consistent stretching program can improve sports performance, especially for athletes who hav...
Why should I stretch as a basketball player?
Aside from running on a treadmill which many people hate to do, you can use an elliptical traine...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?