How can I test flexibility in my middle back?

Sit on a physio or stability ball and hold a club across your chest. Rotate to the right trying to get the club to turn past your left thigh. Repeat in the opposite direction. If you are unable to turn to the desired range of motion, you may have limited mobility in your middle back (thoracic spine). To address this issue, foam rolling, static stretching, and dynamic stretching may help. To begin, foam roll the thoracic spine and latissimus dorsi muscles holding each tender spot for at least thirty seconds. This will allow your muscles enough time to relax and alleviate tension. Next, static stretch your latissimus dorsi, pectorals, and erector spinae, holding each stretch for thirty seconds. This will allow enough time for your tight muscles to elongate. Finally, perform some dynamic activities to further help increase flexibility in your middle back. Try performing a lunge with rotation and push-up with rotation for 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

How flexible am I?
Flexibility is like real estate - it all depends on location. Some may be able to twist their necks ...
How do I practice the forward stretch, or the head-to-knee pose?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Stand upright with your inner feet parallel and about six inches apart. Contract your front thigh mu...
Is it possible to stretch too much before a track workout or competition?
The goals for warming up and stretching are to help the body compete better and diminish the cha...
What are the benefits of stretching and flexibility exercises?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Flexibility exercises, also called stretching, help keep your joints flexible and reduce your ch...