How can I test flexibility in my middle back?

Sit on a physio or stability ball and hold a club across your chest. Rotate to the right trying to get the club to turn past your left thigh. Repeat in the opposite direction. If you are unable to turn to the desired range of motion, you may have limited mobility in your middle back (thoracic spine). To address this issue, foam rolling, static stretching, and dynamic stretching may help. To begin, foam roll the thoracic spine and latissimus dorsi muscles holding each tender spot for at least thirty seconds. This will allow your muscles enough time to relax and alleviate tension. Next, static stretch your latissimus dorsi, pectorals, and erector spinae, holding each stretch for thirty seconds. This will allow enough time for your tight muscles to elongate. Finally, perform some dynamic activities to further help increase flexibility in your middle back. Try performing a lunge with rotation and push-up with rotation for 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Can stretching actually benefit my performance?
Yes, a consistent stretching program can improve sports performance, especially for athletes who hav...
Can static stretching make my muscles long and lean?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Long, lean muscles are dependent upon your genetics. Long muscles are due to short tendons (the ...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?