Why should fitness goals be specific?

Getting fit is not a goal, it is an idea. Fitting into a size six dress, getting fifteen-inch biceps, or running a marathon in two hours are specific goals. Specific fitness goals force you to think about why you want to get fit and what it is you really desire. Do you want better abs, or do you want a ripped six-pack? Do you want to be able to play with your kids, or do you want to be able to run around the park for thirty minutes playing soccer with your kids? The more specific you can be about your goals, the more you can measure your success.
Goals need to be specific so that they can be met. A person may set a goal to improve their diet. This is a wonderful goal, but it is not specific and really offers no guidance. A better goal may be to say, "I will eliminate soft drinks and all foods containing high-fructose corn syrup from my diet." This would be a great start and once this goal is met, others could be developed!

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
What exercises can help tone my butt?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Here are some exercises to help tone your butt: Group 1: Stiff-legged deadlifts, back kicks, good...
How can I stick to an exercise routine?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Arranging your world for success in exercising will help you break down the barriers that keep y...
Work Your Butt With This Simple Exercise