How can I stick to an exercise routine?

People often look at exercise as a time-wasting nuisance. Since 1995 the common recommendation has been that adults obtain at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on 5 or more days a week, for a total of at least 150 minutes a week. Remember that 30 minutes does not have to be consecutive. You can go for a brisk 15 minute walk before breakfast and after dinner. Many employers now encourage walking meetings, so instead of sitting at a desk, why not discuss work initiatives during a walk. Instead of sitting in a lunch room, or at your desk, eat lunch then go for a walk for the remainder of your lunch hour. 

One of the best strategy is stick to a routine is to have social support. Invite friends to have a morning walk or join a group exercise class with friends. During the evening hours, instead of watching TV from the couch, do sit-ups and push-ups during commercial breaks, or watch and episode standing up. During the show, do lunges and squats to work the legs. If you do this through two TV shows you will be getting a good 60 minute workout. The bottom line, you can always find ways to add exercise into activities of daily living.  

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

How can I change bad habits to reach a fitness goal?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
To achieve a fitness goal, understand why you shouldn't make a change. That's right. Until you g...
How is fitness training different for men and women?
Lori Boyajian-O'Neill, DOLori Boyajian-O'Neill, DO
Men and women typically have different body structure and fitness goals, which means workouts should...
What should my first exercise goal be if I want to get in shape?
The first goal should be to identify and correct any possible muscle imbalances you may have develop...
What's the best way for me to decide what my fitness goals should be?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Use the following goal-setting process, called SCAMPI, to not only help you decide what your fitness...