How can muscle imbalances keep me from reaching my fitness goals?

Many people suffer from shoulder, knee, foot/ankle, and low back pain. These disabilities are often due to faulty movement patterns brought about by muscle imbalances. These imbalances can ultimately affect the results of your exercise program. If muscles can't work as they should, they are not going to be able to adapt. Strength and hypertrophy (enlargement of muscles) will be affected. Ultimately, you won't be able to get as strong since the nervous system will not be able to communicate effectively with the imbalanced muscles. In turn, the muscles will not be able to reach your desired size, strength, and shape.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
What is the best way to exercise to lose weight?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
I honestly don’t think exercise alone is the answer to losing weight. I know this is strange com...
Should I have short term fitness goals?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Of course you should.  Actually you should have a short term goal and a long term goal.  However don...
When Is the Best Time to Work Out?
When Is the Best Time to Work Out?