How can I achieve a fitness goal?

Mr. Donovan Green
Athletic Training
Fitness goals go far beyond losing weight. In this video, Dr. Oz's personal trainer, Donovan Green, says you should take time to think about the right fitness goals for you.
Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
The following steps can help you achieve a fitness goal:

Select a goal. Choose a fitness goal that is the best fit for you right now. You're much more likely to succeed if you set priorities that are compelling to you.

Ask a big question. Do I have a big dream that pairs with my goal? A big dream might be running a marathon or climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, wiggling back into a closet full of clothes you love, cutting back on blood pressure medication, or playing games and sports energetically with your children. Write your big dream down on a copy of the calendar. One word to the wise: if you can't articulate a big dream, don't get hung up on this step. You can still succeed in moving toward your goal.

Pick your choice for change. Select a choice that feels like a sure bet. It's best to concentrate on just one choice at a time. When it fits into your life comfortably, you can add another choice or step up your current choice a notch (by adding another day of exercise, for example).

Commit yourself. Make a written or verbal promise to yourself and one or two supporters you don't want to let down: your partner or child, a teacher, doctor, boss, or friends. That will encourage you to slog through tough spots. Be explicit about the change you've chosen and why it matters to you. If it's a step toward a bigger goal, include that, too.

Scout out easy obstacles. Maybe you'd love to try meditating, but can't imagine having the time to do it. Or perhaps your hopes for eating healthier run aground if you're hungry when you walk through the door at night, or your kitchen cabinets and refrigerator aren't well-stocked with healthy foods.

Brainstorm ways to leap over obstacles. Now think about ways to overcome those roadblocks. Not enough time? I'll get up 20 minutes early for exercises and fit in a 10-minute walk before lunch. Cupboard bare of healthy choices? I'll think about five to 10 healthy foods I enjoy and will put them on my grocery list.

Plan a simple reward. Is there a reward you might enjoy for a job well done? For example, if you hit most or all of your marks on planned activities for one week, you'll treat yourself to a splurge with money you saved by quitting smoking, a luxurious bath, or just a double helping of "attaboy." Try to steer clear of food rewards since this approach can be counterproductive.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
How should I vary my exercise program according to my goal?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Your acute variables (i.e., sets, repetitions, intensities, or rest intervals) help determine th...
How can failure help me reach a fitness goal?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
To achieve a fitness goal, learn from the past. Any time you fail to make a change, consider it a st...
What Exercises Can Improve My Posture?
What Exercises Can Improve My Posture?