How should I choose a running shoe?

Foot shape, foot motion and footstrike are the best metrics for selecting a running shoe. Try on a few models from several brands. This is especially important after your favorite shoe has been updated; the changes may not affect the shoe’s performance for you -- or they could be a deal breaker. Look closely at recommendations for the type of feet the shoes fit and the comments of wear testers. Then visit a running specialty store and let them do their job: fit you with the best shoes for you.
In general, running shoes should have a cushioned midsole, a firm heel counter, and about a thumb’s length between your longest toe and the front of the shoe. The type of running shoes you should buy, however, depends on your individual foot type and structure. We recommend that you go to a running specialty store where a trained individual can help find a shoe that is right for you. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

What athletic shoes can I wear to avoid foot problems?
Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite TrainerYusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
In today's market there are a ton of shoes and picking the right one for your needs can seem overwhe...
What should I look for when buying walking shoes?
Keep it personal. To determine the best shoe for you, a good salesperson will ask about your walking...
How often should I change my athletic shoes?
How often an athlete needs to change their shoes depends somewhat on the size of the runner and ...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?