How should I choose a running shoe?

In general, running shoes should have a cushioned midsole, a firm heel counter, and about a thumb’s length between your longest toe and the front of the shoe. The type of running shoes you should buy, however, depends on your individual foot type and structure. We recommend that you go to a running specialty store where a trained individual can help find a shoe that is right for you. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)
Foot shape, foot motion and footstrike are the best metrics for selecting a running shoe. Try on a few models from several brands. This is especially important after your favorite shoe has been updated; the changes may not affect the shoe’s performance for you -- or they could be a deal breaker. Look closely at recommendations for the type of feet the shoes fit and the comments of wear testers. Then visit a running specialty store and let them do their job: fit you with the best shoes for you.

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

What shoes are appropriate for playing on turf?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Shoes with molded cleats or screw-ins are best. However, some fields may have specific regulations. ...
How often should I change my athletic shoes?
How often an athlete needs to change their shoes depends somewhat on the size of the runner and ...
How important is it to buy inserts or walking shoes if I walk a lot?
If you walk a lot it’s recommended to buy walking shoes which are designed to enhance the mechanics ...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?