What are the benefits of working in the fitness industry?

Employment in the fitness industry can offer many benefits:
  • Environment: The atmosphere at most fitness clubs can be described as casual, energetic, friendly, positive and health­conscious.
  • Variety: Single­sex, corporate, family­friendly, adults­only -- whatever you’re looking for, there’s sure to be a club for you.
  • Schedule flexibility: Most clubs are open seven days a week, so there are positions for early birds, night owls, weekend warriors and everyone in between.
  • Location: There are probably several clubs within a short commute from your home.
  • Try before you commit: Part­time or independent contractor positions allow you to get your feet wet in the fitness industry, even if you work full­time elsewhere.
  • Opportunities for advancement: Many club executives got their start as personal trainers, group instructors or front desk personnel. As the industry continues to mature, professional opportunities abound.
  • Compensation: Many positions are commission­based; even instructors are sometimes paid based on club attendance. In short, great performances often result in higher compensation.
  • Other benefits can include free memberships, discounts on amenities and free babysitting for your kids. In addition, many clubs offer traditional employee benefits including health insurance (71% of clubs), matching 401(k) contributions (64% of clubs), retirement plans (76% of clubs), educational assistance (65% of clubs), life insurance (38% of clubs) and Section 125 plans (64% of clubs).

Continue Learning about Fitness

Body Size or Exercise: Which Matters Most?
Given the choice between being slim despite the fact that you never exercise or being overweight despite the fact that you work out all the time, whic...
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Add exercise bands to your workout for a leaner, stronger physique. Feel like you're getting weaker? If you're not already including strength training...
5 Fun Summer Workouts
5 Fun Summer Workouts5 Fun Summer Workouts5 Fun Summer Workouts5 Fun Summer Workouts
Skip the gym and head outside for these fun, calorie-burning workouts. When the weather is gorgeous, who wants to work out in a gym? Not only does out...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?