How do I use a pedometer to help me achieve my fitness goal?

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Start by buying a basic pedometer. Then determine your baseline by wearing the pedometer above your hip for three days from the time you get up until bedtime. Divide the total steps taken by three. For example, counting 10,935 steps over three days sets your baseline at 3,645 steps per day. Each week, add 500 steps until you reach your ultimate goal (perhaps 10,000 steps a day).

Continue Learning about Fitness

The Weak Bones Diet
The Weak Bones Diet
What do you call a diet that asks you to cut calories but doesn't require you to exercise? Call it weak. That's exactly what happens to your bones wh...
How can physical activity help me maintain my health?
Physical activity is important for everyone. The health benefits are vast, and include decreased blo...
5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss
5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss
Work up a sweat for these major health benefits.
Chair Yoga
Chair Yoga