I have a heart rate monitor, how do I get the most out of it?

Getting the most out of your training does not always mean working faster or harder. The best way to improve and see results is to train at the right intensity.  By using a heart rate monitor, you can make sure that you are not over or under training and exercising in the zone that maximizes your energy toward your exercise goal.  To get the most out of your heart rate monitor, be sure to calculate your maximum heart rate, your target training zone (based on goals), and set the heart rate monitor to your specifications.  In addition, as you continue to exercise, your heart will become more efficient, and your training zone calculations may need to be re-done to ensure that you are always in the appropriate training zone.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Get Outside for Your Health and Happiness
One hundred years ago, on August 25, 1916, President Woodrow Wilson signed the act creating the National Park Service, providing protection for 35 est...
What are the benefits of changing up my exercise routine?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Switching up your workouts -- rather than doing the same thing day after day -- has many benefits. F...
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
Whether you're riding your bike or taking a swim, here's how to stay safe during your summer workouts.
The Khloé Kardashian Workout Challenge
The Khloé Kardashian Workout Challenge