How do I keep a steady rhythm while giving chest compressions during CPR?

1. Give 30 chest compressions. Push hard, push fast at a rate of at least 100 compressions per minute. 
  2. Note that the term “100 compressions per minute” refers to the speed of compressions, not the number of compressions given in a minute. 
  3. As you give compressions, count out loud, “One and two and three and four and five and six and…” up to 30. 
  4. Push down as you say the number and come up as you say “and.” This will help you to keep a steady, even rhythm.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...