How do I find the correct hand position for CPR on an infant?

• Keep one hand on the infant’s forehead to maintain an open airway. 
  • Use the pads of two or three fingers of your other hand to give chest compressions on the center of the chest, just below the nipple line (toward the infant’s feet). 
  • If you feel the notch at the end of the infant’s sternum, move your fingers slightly toward the infant’s head.

American Red Cross, face shield, middle and fourth fingers, pads of fingers, maintain open airway, head tilt, hand on forehead

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...