What are the ABCs of first aid?

Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
Athletic Training
The ABC's of first aid are the primary things that need to be checked when you approach the victim, Airway, Breathing, and Circulation. Prior to CPR, ensure that the airway is clear, check to see if the patient is breathing, and check for circulation (pulse or observation of color and temperature of hands/fingers).

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Tornado Preparedness: Your Guide to Staying Safe During a Tornado
While images of tornadoes may be beautiful in photographs, they can be deadly and wreak havoc on residential homes, businesses and natural habitats. T...
When should I call 9-1-1 for a victim who has been submerged under water?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You should give 2 minutes of care before calling 9-1-1 for an unconscious person who has been submer...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free. For many Americans, the 4th of July involves wat...
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?