How do I use the clothes drag for moving an injured or ill person?

1. This move helps keep the person’s head, neck and back stabilized.  
  2. Grasp the person’s clothing behind the neck, gathering enough to secure a firm grip. 
  3. Using the clothing, pull the person head-first to safety. 
  4. During this move, the person’s head is cradled by clothing and the responder’s arms. 
  5. This move is exhausting and may cause back strain for the responder, even when done properly.
American Red Cross, use clothes, on back, support head and neck, pull to safety

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

What is expressed consent when giving emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Expressed consent means a conscious person understands your questions and gives you permission to gi...
When can I give emergency care to a child or an infant without permission?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a condition is life threatening, permission or consent is implied if a parent or guardian is ...
How can bystanders help an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Bystanders may be able to tell you what happened or make the call for help while you give care. ...
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?