How can I tell if someone is having a breathing emergency?

Breathing emergencies depend on how quickly or deeply a person is breathing. In this video, I will describe the circumstances where a trip to the hospital is necessary. 
You can be sure of a breathing emergency by listening and looking at the patient. First, is the person able to speak comfortably, or are they having difficulties with speech? Secondly, when looking at their neck and chest, can you see that they are using more of those muscles to breathe than usual? Are they tiring out while breathing? Finally, you can ask the person if they are having trouble breathing. If they answer yes to any of these questions, then it could be a breathing emergency. If they aren't capable of answering you, it's time to seek medical attention.
Watch and listen to the person’s breathing and ask how he or she feels.

Signals of breathing emergencies include:
  • Trouble breathing or no breathing
  • Slow or rapid breathing
  • Unusually deep or shallow breathing
  • Gasping for breath
  • Wheezing, gurgling or making high-pitched noises
  • Unusually moist or cool skin
  • Flushed, pale, ashen or bluish skin
  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness or light-headedness
  • Pain in the chest or tingling in the hands, feet or lips
  • Apprehensive or fearful feelings

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How should I handle a victim in a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
After you've determined that it is safe for you to enter the area, approach the victim. As you d...
What's the first thing I should do when I reach an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Look for signals that may indicate a life-threatening emergency. Check to see if the injured or ...
How to Make a Makeshift Bat and Survival Bag