Can pain caused by fibromyalgia occur on one side of my body?

As a rule, doctors suspect fibromyalgia only if pain is present on both the left and right sides of the bodies and above and below the waist. Fibromyalgia pain is usually accompanied by other symptoms, such as insomnia and fatigue. If you have pain on one side of your body, see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis.

Pain occurring on one side of your body is unlikely to be the result of fibromyalgia. To be consistent with fibromyalgia, pain must occur throughout a large portion of your body. More specifically, you should be experiencing pain on both sides of your body and also above and below your midsection. If you experience this type of pain for longer than 3 months, your doctor will check for tender points to make an accurate diagnosis of fibromyalgia. You must experience discomfort in at least 11 of 18 tender points for a positive diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Symptoms

What are trigger points?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Trigger points are focal, hyper-irritable areas in muscle and connective tissue that are caused by m...
What other diseases do the symptoms of fibromyalgia appear to be like?
Several other diseases have symptoms that may appear to be like fibromyalgia. These include chro...
Who Benefits the Most from Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy?
Can the Change of Seasons or the Weather Impact My Fibromyalgia Symptoms?