Can pain caused by fibromyalgia occur on one side of my body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Pain occurring on one side of your body is unlikely to be the result of fibromyalgia. To be consistent with fibromyalgia, pain must occur throughout a large portion of your body. More specifically, you should be experiencing pain on both sides of your body and also above and below your midsection. If you experience this type of pain for longer than 3 months, your doctor will check for tender points to make an accurate diagnosis of fibromyalgia. You must experience discomfort in at least 11 of 18 tender points for a positive diagnosis.

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
As a rule, doctors suspect fibromyalgia only if pain is present on both the left and right sides of the bodies and above and below the waist. Fibromyalgia pain is usually accompanied by other symptoms, such as insomnia and fatigue. If you have pain on one side of your body, see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Symptoms

Are the symptoms of fibromyalgia the same for everyone?
The symptoms of fibromyalgia can vary from one person to another. The hallmark symptom of fibromyalg...
How should I track my fibromyalgia symptoms?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Monitoring fibromyalgia symptoms can provide helpful information to you and your healthcare prov...
Can fibromyalgia mimic osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis and other forms of arthritis can mimic symptoms of fibromyalgia, specifically joi...
Is pain from fibromyalgia different than normal pain?
While acute pain lasts for a few hours or days, fibromyalgia pain is chronic, or long-term, and last...