What can I do if I experience swelling on my face during pregnancy?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Some swelling after being on your feet all day or that trip to the Chinese restaurant would be normal. Taking breaks and drinking lots of water while avoiding excessive sodium will usually make this swelling temporary. On the other hand sudden weight gain and facial swelling where your nose is disappearing may be a sign of preeclampsia or pregnancy induced hypertension. If you experience sudden swelling, headache or visual changes make sure to notify your OB or Midwife immediately.

Many women develop mild swelling in the face, hands, or ankles at some point in their pregnancies. As the due date approaches, swelling often becomes more noticeable.

Drink 8 to 10 glasses of fluids daily Don't drink caffeine or eat salty foods Rest and elevate your feet Ask your doctor about support hose

Call a doctor if your hands or feet swell suddenly or you rapidly gain weight — it may be preeclampsia.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Dad’s Health Plays a Key Role in Baby’s Health
In the movie, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Rick Moranis played the part of a Dad who did his kids more harm than good. But in real life, when his wife di...
What do doctors look for in the first ultrasound in pregnancy?
After checking the size of your belly to make sure your doctor or midwife has predicted the right ge...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?